Get South Africa back into the #1 Cycling Nation in Africa.
THE GOAL FOR 2019 IS MUCH BIGGER!
ProTouch is a registered UCI Continental Team for 2019 and its mission is to Get South Africa back into the #1 Cycling Nation in Africa. Currently ranked 4th in the UCI Cycling Nations Rankings [behind Eritrea, Algeria and Rwanda] – there is a lot of work to be done!
“ProTouch kicked off this campaign, when we dipped our toes in the water at the 2018 Tour du Rwanda. The Team finished off with four podiums and three riders in the top 15, there were lots of learnings and we plan to build on that in the year ahead”.
The Team will be participating in the South African racing calendar [which includes three UCI events – Tour de Limpopo, Tour of Good Hope and 100 Cycle Challenge] as well as UCI Africa, America and Asia Tours.
The Team participated in the Tropicale Amissa Bongo – Gabon [UCI 2.1 Africa Tour] in January and came away with the Sprinters Points Jersey, four Top 10 placings and 11th overall on GC [38 seconds off the Yellow Jersey. The Team raced alongside pro-continental teams such as Team Arkea-Samsic, Direct Energie and Vital Concepts B&B Hotels.
The Team returns to Tour du Rwanda [this year UCI 2.1] in March and it hopes to add Tour of Algeria and Senegal to its calendar.
Later in the season, ProTouch will be participating in the Tour of the Gila, Arizona USA and Tour of Xingtai, Japan and Tour of Taihulake, China.
ProTouch was created in 2016, when a number of talented first year U23 athletes found themselves without teams, due to lack of sponsorships in South African Cycling.
Under the stewardship of Tony Harding [who, has more than 30 years’ experience managing some of the best National, Professional, Olympic and Commonwealth Teams including individual athletes locally and abroad] the Team has gone from strength to strength, in just three years.
ProTouch also spearheaded the development of the SUPPORT SA TALENT PROJECT aimed at creating a sustainable road cycling ecosystem, through innovative funding mechanisms and access to opportunities to gain international racing experience.
“ProTouch always races as a Team and, we celebrate our victories collectively, it is what makes us unique” – Tony Harding, Team Principal
2018 has been a phenomenal year for ProTouch, making its mark on the South African road racing circuit with top honours in the 2018 Support SA Talent Road Cycling Series, by winning the:
- Overall Series (Elite and Junior Competitions)
- Best Tour Rider (Elite and Junior Competitions)
- 2nd Place Best One-day Classic Rider Competition (Elite)
- 3rd Place Best Young Rider Competition
TOP CLASS SPORTS MEDICINE, PERFORMANCE MONITORING AND SUPPORT
ProTouch Athletes – in both the Continental and Club Team/s – have access to a wide network of specialist including sports science services, physiotherapists, bio kineticists, chiropractors, sports dieticians – through the partnership established with SportsDoc, Wanderers Sports and Medicine Centre, Sandton Sports Medicine, Mediworx-s and, Constantia Kloof Sports and Exercise Medicine Centre.
In addition, ProTouch makes use of further performance support from PTS – Performance through Science, to manage athlete development, programme and fitness monitoring services. This includes training programme management, Wattbike Testing using the UCI World Cycling Centre protocols, Bike Set Ups, using the Bio Racer Motion and Virtual Wind Tunnel Systems as well as strength and conditioning assessments and monitoring.
MEET THE TEAM
ProTouch continues to show its commitment to developing young South African talent, with the introduction of its Junior/ U23 Team – presented by The Wanderers Club. The Team includes:
UPCOMING 2019 RACES :
- Dis-Chem Ride for Sight (17 February 2019)
- Tour du Rwanda – UCI 2.1 – Rwanda (24 February – 3 March 2019)
- Takealot Berge en Dale (23 February 2019)
- The Herald Continental Cycle Tour (24 February 2019)
- Africa Continental Championships (15 – 20 March 2019)
- Takealot Tour of Good Hope (4 – 8 March 2019)
- Cape Town Cycle Tour (10 March 2019)
- Tour of Algeria – UCI 2.1 – Algeria (27 March – 2 April 2019)
- Bestmed Emperors Palace Classic (24 March 2019)
- Tour du Maroc Cycliste – UCI 2.2 – Morocco (5 – 14 April 2019)
- Wilro Lions Cycle Challenge (14 April 2019)
- aQuelle Tour Durban (28 April 2019)
- Tour du Senegal – UCI 2.2 – Senegal (22 – 29 April 2019)
- Tour of Gila – UCI 2.2 – United States of America (1 – 5 May 2019)
- 100 Cycle Challenge – UCI 1.2 (5 May 2019)
- South African Junior Road Championships (11 – 12 May 2019)
- Tour de Limpopo – UCI 2.2 (14 – 19 May 2019)
- Kremetart Cycle Race (9 June 2019)
- Panorama Tour (15 – 18 June 2019)
- Momentum Knysna Cycle Tour (23 June 2019)
- Takealot Jock Classic (13 July 2019)
- Trapnet Cycle Challenge (21 July 2019)
- Air Relax Lowveld Tour (9 – 12 August 2019)
- Bestmed Cycle4Cansa Championship (25 August 2019)
- Loskop Classic Road Race (1 September 2019)
- Tshwane Spring Classic (2 September 2019)
- Tour of Xingtai – Japan (2 – 4 September 2019)
- Rand Water Race for Victory (8 September 2019)
- Tour de Windhoek – Namibia (21 – 23 September 2019)
- Swadini Tour (21 – 24 September 2019)
- Tour of Taihulake – China (9 – 16 October 2019)
- Takealot Satellite Road Championship (12 October 2019)
- Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic (20 October 2019)
- Carnival City Macsteel National Classic (27 October 2019)
- Tshwane Capital Classic (3 November 2019)
- Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge (17 November 2019)
2019 THE FAST ONE
ROAD CYCLING SERIES – Won OVERALL SERIES – 2018 Road Cycling Series (U23/Elite and Junior)
Winner Best Tour Rider (U23/Elite and Junior) Competition
2ND Place Best 1-day Classic Rider Competition
3RD Place Best Young Rider Competition
MPUMALANGA TOUR – 2nd place overall, 2nd GC, 2nd; 4th Best Young Rider (Elite/u23).
GAUTENG CHAMPIONSHIPS – 2nd place Road Race, 2nd place (Elite/u23) Individual Time Trial;2nd place (Junior).
MPUMALANGA CHAMPIONSHIPS – 2nd place Individual Time Trial and Road Race (Junior).
BERGE EN DALE CLASSIC – 1st and 2nd place (Elite/u23).
RIDE FOR SIGHT CLASSIC – 1st place (Elite/u23).
AFRICAN CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – RWANDA – 5th place (Elite/u23).
TOUR OF SHARJA – NATIONAL TEAM SELECTION.
SA CHAMPIONSHIPS – Road Race – 1st and 2nd place (Junior); 4th place (Elite); 3rd place (u23).
TOUR OF GOOD HOPE – Elite/u23: 4th place Stage 1, 2 (TT), 3 and 5, 3rd and 5th place Stage 4, 3rd place Overall GC, Most Combative Rider, 3rd Best Young Rider (u23), 2nd Best Team. Juniors: 2nd and 4th place Stage 1, 1st and 2nd place Stage 2 (TT) and 4, 1st and 3rd place Stage 3 and 5, 1st and 2nd Overall GC.
CAPE TOWN CYCLE TOUR – 3rd place (Elite/u23); 1st and 7th place (Junior).
AFRICA CONTINENTAL ROAD RACE – 4th place (Elite/u23).
GAUTENG PROVINCIALS ROAD RACE – 1st place (Elite/u23).
EMPERORS CLASSIC – 1st place (Elite/u23).
WILRO LIONS CYCLE CHALLENGE – 1st, 2nd and 6th place (Elite/u23); 2nd place (Junior).
TOUR DE LIMPOPO – 1st and 4th place Stage 1 and Overall GC (Elite/u23); Best Young Rider (u23), 1st and 2nd Most Combative Rider, 1st Best Team.
TOUR DURBAN – 1st place (Elite/u23), Best Young Rider (u23).
100 CYCLE CHALLENGE – 2nd and 5th place (Elite/u23).
SWADINI JUNIOR & U23 TOUR – 1st place (Junior) all stages and Overall GC (Junior).
KNYSNA CYCLE TOUR – 5th place (Elite/u23).
JOCK CLASSIC – 3rd place Stage 1, 5th place Stage 2, 6th place Stage 3, 4th place Overall GC (Elite/u23).
TOUR DU RWANDA – 3rd place & 2nd Best Team Stage 1, 2nd place Stage 5, 3rd & 9th place Stage 6.
LOWVELD TOUR – 10th place (Elite/u23).
BESTMED LOST CITY CYCLE4CANSA – 1st and 4th place (Elite/u23), 1st place (junior).
TOUR DE MAURICE – Stage Win and winner of ITT, Yellow overall winner on GC, Best Young Rider, Points and Best International Rider Jerseys, Best Overall Team.
TOUR DE WINDHOEK – 2nd Best Team, 4th Place Overall, 2nd Place Best Young Rider and Won Green Jersey
BESTMED SATELLITE CLASSIC – 2nd Place
YARONA FM 106.6 – 1st and 3rd Place (U23 Men), 2nd and 3rd Place (Elite Men)
AMASHOVA CLASSIC – 6th Place (Elite/u23), 2nd Place (Junior)
MACSTEEL CARNIVAL CITY – 1st, 5th and 9th Place (Elite/u23) and 5th Place (Junior)
TSHWANE CLASSIC – 5th Place, 6th Place (U23/Elite), 3rd Place
94.7 CYCLE CHALLENGE – 6th Place, 8th Place (U23/Elite), 3rd
MPUMALANGA TOUR – Took all 5 Junior Category Jerseys, Second Stage Win, 3rd Place Overall in KOM, 5th Place Overall and 5th Place (U23).
GAUTENG CHAMPIONSHIPS – 1st Place – Junior Time Trial and 1st Place Junior Road Race.
THE FAST ONE – 4th Place (Elite) and 1st Place (Junior) .
SOUTH AFRICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS – 1st Place and 4th Place (Junior) Individual Time Trial and Road Race.
TOUR OF GOOD HOPE – Yellow Jersey – Stage 3 and 2nd Place Overall (losing by 1.04 seconds) and 2nd Place – Best Young Rider category.
AFRICA CONTINENTAL TRACK CHAMPIONSHIPS – 3 Gold Medals, 3 Silver Medals and 1 Bronze Medal and 2nd Overall in Team category.
SA TRACK CHAMPIONSHIPS – 9 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals and 2 Bronze Medals. Overall winners of Individual Pursuit, Individual Time Trial and Scratch events.
CLOVER TOUR – Best Young Rider Leaders Jersey – U23.
TOUR OF IRELAND – Winner Of the Green Jersey.
TOUR DE WINDHOEK, NAMIBIA – 2nd Overall Team, Best Young Rider, 3rdon GC.
TOUR OF MAURITIUS – 2nd Team, Best Young Rider, Green Jersey, 4th and 5th on GC.
JOCK TOUR – Best Overall Team, Best Young Rider White Jersey, 1st and 2ndPoints Competition, 1st & 3rd KOM Competition, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Overall on GC.
MEALS ON WHEELS ROAD CYCLE – 2nd Place Overall and 1st Junior.
TRACK GRAND PRIX – 1st Place Points, Scratch, 1500m, Madison and 3rdPlace Keirin.
MOZAMBIQUE MAPUTO CRITERIUM – 1st and 2nd Place.
MANKELE 3 TOWERS MTB – 2nd Place.
BESTMED SATELLITE CLASSIC – 2nd and 4th Overall Junior
BOTSWANA – YARONA 106.6KM CYCLE CHALLENGE – Best Overall Team, Best Young Rider, 2nd, 3rd Overall, 1st Overall Ladies.
SATELLITE CLASSIC – 2nd Place Best Young Rider.
AMESHOVA CLASSIC – 5th and 7th Overall, 2nd U23 and 1st Junior.
CARNIVAL CITY CLASSIC – 4th, 5th and 7th Overall. 1st and 2nd Junior.
TSHWANE CLASSIC RACE – 2nd Overall Elite U23, 3rd Overall Junior.
94.7 Cycle Challenge – 5th Place Overall.
ProTouch is proudly supported by a number of official partners: Presenting and Vehicle Partner – Jaguar Sandton; Financial Services Partner – Rockfin; Apparel Partner – Phezulu; Sports Nutrition Partner – Epieq Sports Nutrition; Eyewear Partner – D’Arcs; Helmet, Shoe & Gloves Partner – Giro; Bike Partner – Wilier; Wheel Partner – Meister Wheels; Performance Partners – Performance through Science, SpiderTech, Wanderers Sports Medicine Centre, Mediworxs -S, Sandton Sports Med, Constantia Kloof Sports & Exercise Medicine Centre; Dining Partner – Doppio Zero; and Founding Supporting Partner – Pretoria Box Manufacturers.
PROTOUCH WANDERERS CYCLING CLUB
The Wanderers Club has a proud history in South African Cycling dating back to 1893, when they funded a Wanderers Club member, Laurens Meintjes the first South African, to attend and win a World Championships. ProTouch Sports has been contracted by The Wanderers Club to launch and operate a new Sub-Club membership option launching in February 2019. The Cycling Club membership is R200 per annum. Benefits will include:
- Event race number pick up at the Club for members;
- Bike transport at discounted rates, for out-of-town events/ drop off/ collection;
- Discounted MTB Multi-Park Entries for Bike Parks in Gauteng including: Northern Farms, Central Park Trails (Modderfontein), The Big Red Barn, PwC Bike Park, Wolwespruit, Rosemary Hill, Buffelsdrift, Hero Adventure Hobby Park, Thaba Trails, Benoni Country Club, Avianto Bike Park, Rietvlei Bike Park, Cradlemoon, Hazeldene;
- Access to an online Shop with preferentially-priced items – % of sales will also go to Support SA Talent: Helmets and eyewear, nutrition, shoes, various bicycles brands, bicycle bags and boxes, Bike set ups, by the professionals, bike services, wheels and tyres, electronic wearable devices, bike Insurance and personal accident cover, training and coaching programmes, custom cycling kit;
- Members also purchasing a Cycling South Africa full racing license (R450) also receive: R25 000 Emergency Medical Treatment and Emergency Travel costs and/or death benefit of R25 000, for any cycling related accident that occurs at a Cycling SA sanctioned cycling event.
- Events at the Club will also include specialist talks on nutrition, bicycle set ups and performance management as well as access to the ProTouch Continental and Wanderers Club Team, for corporate rides and training programmes.