I am a 24-year old South African professional cyclist, riding for the UCI registered ProTouch Continental Team, the number one team in Africa . I love to climb and I am a Time Trial Specialist and General Classification rider and this is my second year riding for the ProTouch Continental Team. I am ranked 7th in South Africa, 19th in Africa and 475th in the UCI World rankings.
“I want to become a cyclist who doesn’t just make up the numbers but a rider who competes at the highest level and, who can win some of the most prestigious events worldwide” Kent Main
HERE IS MY STORY – I am a second year Elite cyclist from South Africa. I have been cycling for 10 years now and racing competitively for eight of those years. I have competed at the highest level of the sport in the u23 category, when I represented South Africa at the 2018 World Championships in Innsbruck, Austria and the 2019 African Games in Morocco, coming away with a silver medal in the Individual Time Trial and Gold medal in the Team Time Trial.
I have raced all over Europe and have done 2 full seasons abroad with the Dimension Data Continental team, while based in Italy. Last year I participated in more than 13 UCI events in Morocco, Malaysia, China, Iran, Malaysia, Portugal and South Africa.
I believe that my biggest attribute as a professional cyclist is that I am a team player. I am also ambitious, motivated and dedicated towards my cycling dream and my team’s vision, to enable more South African riders to perform on the World Stage.
My goal is to progress into a Professional Continental Team or World Tour Team and from achieving this goal – I want to race in the biggest tours in the World, against the best riders in the World.
HERE ARE SOME OF MY 2019 NOTABLE RESULTS:
3 TOP 10 GENERAL CLASSIFICATION FINISHES; 6 TOP 10 STAGE/ CLASSIC FINISHES; 1 TOP 20 STAGE/ CLASSIC FINISH; PART OF THE TEAM THAT WON A GOLD AND SILVER MEDAL AT AFRICAN GAMES IN MOROCCO.
- GAUTENG PROVINCIAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – RR – 4th Place; TT – 1st Place
- FAST ONE – 6th Place, 3rd Place (Elite)
- RIDE FOR SIGHT – 9th Place (Elite)
- BERGE EN DALE – 4th Place, 1st Place (Elite)
- HERALD CONTINENTAL TOUR – 9th Place, 3rd Place (Elite)
- CAPE TOWN CYCLE TOUR – 16th Place, 7th Place (Elite)
- EAST RAND CLASSIC – 1st Place (Elite)
- 100 CYCLE CHALLENGE – 9th Place (Elite), Part of Winning Team
- SA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – TT – 4th Place; RR – 14th Place
- TOUR OF GOOD HOPE – Stage 1 – 7th Place (Elite); Stage 2 – 6th Place (Elite); Stage 3 – 1st Place (Elite); Stage 4 – 2ndPlace, 1st Place (Elite); Stage 5 – 3rd Place (Elite); 9th Place GC
- LE TOUR DE LANGKAWI – Stage 4 – 14th Place; 13th Place GC
- TOUR DE LIMPOPO – Stage 1 – 9th Place; Stage 2 – 7th Place; Stage 3 – 2nd Place; Stage 4 – 9th Place; 2nd Place GC; 4thPlace Mountains Classification; Part of Team that came 2nd Place Overall
- TSHWANE DIAMOND CLASSIC – 3rd Place Overall, Part of Winning Team
- PANORAMA CYCLE TOUR – 4th Place Overall
- GP INTERNACIONAL TORRES VEDRAS – Prologue – 23rd Place
- VOLTA A PORTUGAL SANTANDER – Stage 10 – 20th Place
- ALL AFRICAN GAMES – ITT – 2ND Place – Part of Winning Team
- ALL AFRICAN GAMES – TTT – 1ST Place – Part of Winning Team
- TOUR OF BINZHOU – 329 KM – Stage 1 – 6th Place; Stage 2 – Part of the Winning Team
- TOUR OF IRAN – Stage 3 – 5th Place; Stage 4 – 12th Place; 12th Place Overall in the King of the Mountains Classification; 6th Place Overall in the General Classification; 2nd Place Overall in the Best Young Rider Classification; Part of the team that came – 3rd in Stage 1; 2nd in Stage 2; 5th in Stage 4; 4th in Stage 5
- TOUR OF PENINSULAR – 12th Place King of the Mountain Classification; Stage 1 – 8th Place; Stage 2 – Part of Winning Team; Stage 3 – 7th Place; Points Classification Overall Winner; 16th Place in General Classification
- CORONATION DOUBLE CENTURY – Part of the Winning Team
I return to the South African National Championships, ahead of participating in my first UCI Tour of the season – Tour du Rwanda – Africa’s Toughest Tour. I will take to the start line alongside World Tour Israel Start-Up Nation/ Israel Cycling Academy Team, UCI Continental Pro Teams: Total Direct Energie 🇫🇷 (France), Delko-Marseille 🇫🇷(France), Team Novo Nordisk 🇺🇸 (USA), Androni-Giocatolli 🇮🇹 (Italy). UCI Continental Teams: Benediction Cycling Team 🇷🇼 (Rwanda), PROTOUCH 🇿🇦 (South Africa), BAI Sicasal Petro de Luanda (Angola), Bike Aid 🇩🇪 (Germany), Vino Astana Motors 🇰🇿 (Kazakhstan) and National Teams: Rwanda 🇷🇼, Eritrea 🇪🇷 , Algeria 🇩🇿, Ethiopia 🇪🇹, Cameroon 🇨🇲 and Belgium 🇧🇪 .
This is Part One on My Story – follow me on social media to keep in touch and follow my journey.