I am a 23-year old South African professional cyclist, riding for the UCI-registered ProTouch Continental Team – the number one team in Africa . I am considered as an all rounder/ Puncheur-type of rider, with the ability to climb, contest for the General Classification competition and also able to sprint, when the need arises.
I rode for ProTouch for two years when it was still a Club Team and I returned this year to ProTouch, now as a Continental Team. I am ranked 8th in South Africa, 26th in Africa and 627th in the UCI World rankings.
“I live my dreams, by racing my bike” Gustav Basson
HERE IS MY STORY – Growing up, every July I could not wait to get home from school to watch the greatest race on earth – Le Tour de France with my dad. Even at this young age, I realized how profoundly obsessed I was with cycling and my dream is to become one of the greatest South African cyclists, competing in a “Grand Tour”.
I participated in a number of sporting activities at school including Athletics and Rugby, but cycling is my true love. I know that dedication and hard work, helps to achieve whatever you want in life even though sometimes you face great challenges and obsticles along the way.
In 2009, my life took a bad turn when I was diagnosed with Scheuermann’s disease. I was told by the doctors treating me, that I would no longer be able to participate in sport. I outgrew this disease and in 2012, I finally had the opportunity to fulfill my dream to become a professional cyclist.
I take pride in wearing the ProTouch Jersey and what it means to be a South African rider on the World Stage. I ride with purpose and dedication always. I aspire to achieve my goals, while assisting my Team in achieving its goals for South Africa too.
HERE ARE SOME OF MY 2019 NOTABLE RESULTS:
4 STAGE WINS/ CLASSIC FINISHES ; 1 TOP 10 GENERAL CLASSIFICATION FINISHES; 12 TOP 10 STAGE/ CLASSIC FINISHES; 4 TOP 20 STAGE/ CLASSIC FINISHES.
- 100 CYCLE CHALLENGE – UCI 1.2 – 9th Place
- SA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – RR – 24th Place
- TOUR OF GOOD HOPE – UCI 2.2 – 382,6 KM – Stage 1 – 4th Place (Elite); Stage 2 – 1st Place (Elite); Stage 3 – 2nd Place (Elite); Stage 4 – 14th Place ; Stage 5 – 30th Place (Elite); 19th Place in General Classification ; 4th Place in Points Classification.
- TOUR DE TAIWAN – UCI 2.1 – Stage 1 –10th Place ; Stage 2 – 39th Place ; Stage 3 –16th Place ; Stage 4 – 50th Place ; Stage 5 – 10th Place ; 49th Place in General Classification ; 17th Place in Points Classification.
- TOUR DE LIMPOPO – UCI 2.2 – Stage 1 –1st Place; Stage 2 – 25th Place; Stage 3 – 6th Place; Stage 4 – 37th Place; 15th Place in General Classification
- LES CHALLENGE DE LA MARCHE VERTE – GP OUED EDDAHAB – UCI 1.2 – 4th Place ; Part of the Winning Team
- LES CHALLENGE DE LA MARCHE VERTE – GP AL MASSIRA – UCI 1.2 – 1st Place
- CHALLENGE INTERNATIONAL du SAHARA MOROCAINE – UCI 2.1 – Stage 1 – 3rd Place; Stage 2 – 5th Place; Stage 3 – 1stPlace ; 1st Place in General Classification ; 1st Place in Points Classification.
I return to the South African National Championships this week, ahead of participating in my second UCI Tour of the season – Tour du Rwanda – Africa’s Toughest Tour. I will take to the start line alongside World Tour Israel Start-Up Nation/ Israel Cycling Academy Team, UCI Continental Pro Teams: Total Direct Energie 🇫🇷 (France), Delko-Marseille 🇫🇷(France), Team Novo Nordisk 🇺🇸 (USA), Androni-Giocatolli 🇮🇹 (Italy). UCI Continental Teams: Benediction Cycling Team 🇷🇼 (Rwanda), PROTOUCH 🇿🇦 (South Africa), BAI Sicasal Petro de Luanda (Angola), Bike Aid 🇩🇪 (Germany), Vino Astana Motors 🇰🇿 (Kazakhstan) and National Teams: Rwanda 🇷🇼, Eritrea 🇪🇷 , Algeria 🇩🇿, Ethiopia 🇪🇹, Cameroon 🇨🇲 and Belgium 🇧🇪 .
This is Part One of My Story – follow me on social media to keep in touch and follow my journey in Africa’s #1 Continental Team. Part Two will include a closer look at my super-fast Devel Project bike, Deda Elementi race wheels and handlebars as well as my customised Pro Apparel Asia cycling kit.