I am a all-rounder/ puncheur-type of rider, known as a bit of a break-away specialist and always a contestant for the Sprinters Jersey.
I am a 25-year old South African professional cyclist and this is my second year riding for the UCI registered ProTouch Continental Team. I am focussed on helping to keep South Africa ranked as the number one cycling nation in Africa, as well as ProTouch as the Top Team in Africa. I am currently ranked 14th in South Africa and, 61st in Africa in the UCI rankings.
HERE IS MY STORY – I was first introduced to cycling in 2008, I have many memories of this time – my family was on holiday and as a typical 14-year, my bicycle went along with me. My father and grandfather invited me to join them on a morning ride, I was ecstatic about the invitation and needless to say since that day I was totally hooked!
In 2017, I received my first contract to ride with the Cape-based Club team Alfa Bodyworks Giant. The first quarter of the 2017 season my focus was to rider in Belgium for 3 months. I achieved the goals that I had set for myself – winning two races and placing 8th in Tour de Province Namur.
After returning from my trip to Belgium, I was selected to represent South Africa and I joined the National Team that was participating in the Tour of Ethiopia. My role was to support the team, to bring home the win for the team.
My 2018 season was off to a great start when I achieved my early season goal to podium at the National Time Trial Championships. My focus then shifted to getting my mind and body in perfect condition ahead of my depart to Belgium. Racing in Belgium this time around went really well, I ended up walking away with the win at the Belgium Cup Race, adding to the tally – a podium and another top 10 in a UCI race. The rest of my racing season ended off on a high when I made my way back to the local circuit. I achieved multiple wins a 2nd place at the Tsogo Sun Amashova Durban Classic. 2018 was hands down my best season to date.
One of my ultimate dreams are to represent South Africa at the World Championships and/or Olympic Games. My vision for the future is to one day be spotted by a World Tour Team and gain a podium spot in of a major classic on the World Tour stage.
I believe that the rider is the image of the sponsor and its team, if you respect yourself people will respect you and your sponsors. I understand the value of sponsorship and teamwork and will always give my best to both my sponsors and teammates on and off the field of competition.
HERE ARE SOME OF MY 2020 NOTABLE RESULTS:
- LA TROPICALE AMISSA BONGO – UCI 2.1 – 1035 KM – Part of the team that took – Stage 1- 18th Place ; Stage 3 – 11th Place ; Stage 4 – 12th Place ; Stage 5 – 14th Place ; Stage 6 – 12th Place.
- SA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – UCI N.C – Individual Time trial – 6th Place. Part of the Team that finished off in 3rd, 4th, 9th and 10th Place in the Road Race.
2019 NOTABLE RESULTS:
2 STAGE WINS; 3 SPRINTERS CLASSIFICATION JERSEYS; 2 TOP 10 GENERAL CLASSIFICATION FINISHES; 17 TOP 10 STAGE/ CLASSIC FINISHES; 4 TOP 20 STAGE/ CLASSIC FINISHES
- LA TROPICALE AMISSA BONGO – UCI 2.1 – 856 KM – Part of Team that took Stage 1, 3, 5 – 7th Place; Stage 4 – 10th Place; Stage 7 – 8th Place; 11th Place GC; 8th Place Points Classification; 8th Place in the Mountains Classification
- LE TOUR DE LANGKAWI – UCI 2.PRO – 528 KM – 8th Place in Points Classification; 13th Place in General Classification
- SA NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS – TT – 7th Place (Elite)
- TOUR D’INDONESIA – UCI 2.1 – 817,6 KM – POINTS CLASSIFICATION – Overall Winner
- TOUR OF CHINA I – UCI 2.1 – 1116,9 KM – Stage 2 – 6th Place; Stage 4 – 10th Place
- TOUR OF CHINA II – Prologue – 6th Place; Stage 1 – 6th Place; Mountains Classification – 10th Place; Part of the Winning Team – Stage 4
- TOUR OF BINZHOU – 329 KM – Stage 1 – 2nd Place; Stage 2 – 1st Place; General Classification – 2nd Place
- TOUR OF IRAN – UCI 2.1 – 878,4 KM – Stage 2 – 13th Place; Part of the Team that came – 3rd in Stage 1; 2nd in Stage 2; 5th in Stage 3; 5th in Stage 4; 4th in Stage 5; Part of the Team that came 12th Place in the King of the Mountains Classification; 6th Place in the General Classification; 2nd Place in the Best Young Rider Classification
- TOUR OF PENINSULAR – UCI 2.1 – 751,90 KM – Stage 1 – 8th Place; Stage 2 – 1st Place; Stage 3 – 7th Place; Points Classification Overall Winner; Part of the Team that finished – 12th Place in the King of the Mountains Classification; 16th Place General Classification.
My next stop is my second UCI 2.1 Tour of the season – TOUR OF TAIWAN.
This is Part One of My Story – follow me on social media to keep in touch and follow my journey in Africa’s #1 Continental Team. Part Two will include a closer look at my super-fast Devel Project bike, Deda Elementi race wheels and handlebars as well as my customised Pro Apparel Asia cycling kit.